Well, after testing out my new Vibrams “Komodo” Five Finger Shoes in Bootcamp class and on a run, I am converted! I get it! I LOVE THEM! I really resisted switching over to Vibrams because, well, let’s face it, they are pretty dorky looking. But over the past year, the combination of cuter styles, getting used to seeing them on other people, and the mounting evidence of their benefits led me to finally give them a try and I am SO glad I did.
First of all, they are very comfortable. Wearing them for training at the Bootcamp Studio was awesome. It was like being barefoot, but without the wear and tear of the mat on the bottom of my feet. I want to try them on a striking day and at Turbo Kick at 24-hour and see how they feel there – I have a feeling they will work great because they don’t weigh your foot down like a normal shoe does.
The most remarkable thing is how they work for running. I love to run, but I have to watch how much I run because of knee pain. Running in these Vibrams yesterday, I felt NO knee pain! I couldn’t believe it! I kept waiting for that familiar pain to show up and tell me to start heading home, but there was NONE!
The employee at Go Bananas on Kapahulu where I got them warned me ease into running in them because my legs/feet would need some time to get used to the Vibrams and it would take some time to build up the muscles that haven’t been utilized because of the confinement of my regular shoes. I could indeed feel my calves tightening up and the muscles in my feet and ankles start to feel like they were being worked for the first time in this way. It wasn’t pain, just that feeling of new muscles being used. So I forced myself to cut my run short at 30 minutes. I felt like I could have gone on a lot longer, especially with the absence of knee pain, but I am sure glad I didn’t push it because today my calves do feel it!
Running in these crazy-looking shoes, I felt so free and light. I can’t wait to try them again and continue to build the muscles in my feet/ankles/legs. At $110, not much more than regular running shoes, these Komodos were an awesome investment and a great birthday gift to myself (since this is my birthday month!). Now this doesn’t mean you are going to be seeing me at the mall or the movies in them any time soon, but for working out, I give them an A+!
Here is what the Vibrams site says about the technology:
Vibram FiveFingers® footwear is different than any other footwear on the planet. Not only does it bring you closer to your environment, it also delivers a number of positive health benefits—by leveraging all of the body’s natural biomechanics, so you can move as nature intended.
5 Reasons to Wear Vibram FiveFingers:
1. Strengthens Muscles in the Feet and Lower Legs—Wearing Vibram FiveFingers will stimulate and strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improving general foot health and reducing the risk of injury.
2. Improves Range of Motion in Ankles, Feet and Toes—No longer ‘cast’ in a shoe, the foot and toes move more naturally.
3. Stimulates Neural Function Important to Balance and Agility—When wearing Vibram FiveFingers, thousands of neurological receptors in the feet send valuable information to the brain, improving balance and agility.
4. Eliminate Heel Lift to Align the Spine and Improve Posture—By lowering the heel, your bodyweight becomes evenly distributed across the footbed, promoting proper posture and spinal alignment.
5. Allow the Foot and Body to Move Naturally—Which just FEELS GOOD.
Stay Tuned…Tomorrow I will be sharing Michelle’s yummy Low-fat cheesecake recipe! Mmmmmmm!!!!!