Hey Blog Friends,
Just a little note to say that I am going to be taking a break from this blog so that I can focus on my NEW Mom Blog over at MomsInHawaii.com . I am really excited and inspired by all the awesome stuff we are working on at Moms In Hawaii, so I plan to be spending my blogging time over there for the time being.
Thank you for your understanding. I’ve got a bit of blogger-guilt for not keeping up with this blog, so I wanted to tell it to you all straight instead of thinking about my last post just sitting there and this blog looking abandoned!
So keep up with all of your health and wellness goals, everyone! Remember: YOU ARE LIMITLESS!
Happy Inspiration Friday, Friends!
Today’s inspiration is my favorite website – FinerMinds.com, the brain child of one of my favorite inspirational visionaries, Vishen Lakhiani. The site’s tagline is: “Your source for mind-blowing awesomeness.” Love that! This is my go-to place to raise my vibration anytime I need a pick me up. When it comes to the internet, it is so easy to sucked in to Facebook, YouTube, news sites, and other things online that just bring our vibration down and leave us feeling down, depleted, and downright depressed. I personally try to filter my online media by using Google Reader to subscribe to blogs that are fun, interesting, and inspiring and do my best to keep away from the rest. If it doesn’t make me feel good, I don’t want it.
In this digital age of media overload, I believe that it is more important than ever to choose what we want to allow into our consciousness. We can CHOOSE to set boundaries and limitations on the media in our life and allow only the highest vibration stuff in OR we can become victims, allowing the loudest, most agressive, lowest vibration stuff into our world. Just know that it is CHOICE you can make. There is no reason to fear media, so long as you empower yourself to filter, control, limit, and BE IN CHARGE of what you allow into your home and your consciousness.
So if you’re looking for a feel good site with some really inspirational content, spend some time on FinerMinds.com…you’ll love it! Here are some links to get you started:
Question of the Day: What are your favorite inspirational websites?
This is what my life has looked like lately! Lunch and snacks at my desk! When life gets CRAZY it takes extra planning and preparation to stick to a healthy diet and a workout schedule. Whenever I find my life getting hectic I have a few tricks to help me feel “in control” and stay on track. Here are some simple things you can do to help you feel in control when life is CRAZY:
- Get up 20 minutes earlier. Use the time to meditate, get organized, make your lunch, collect your thoughts, breathe, whatever. Just give yourself a little extra time. You can use it to do the next tip.
- Make your bed. This is my mom’s trick and it is so simple and awesome. The couple of minutes it takes to make your bed can have a HUGE impact on how in control you feel of your day.
- Take 5 minutes in the morning to free-write about your day ahead and what you want to accomplish.
- Take 5 minutes to do gratitude journaling…start with “I am so grateful for…” This will help you to create positive energy and appreciation for your life and help keep things in perspective when things feel hectic.
- Write your workouts in your calendar. Treat them like appointments with yourself. Know that exercising will give you more energy to handle everything going on in your life.
- Have a good to-do list system. I use a program called OmniFocus and when things get really busy I use it to divide my lists by the days of the week. Rather than looking at my overwhelming list of everything I want to and have to do, I split my list up by the days of the week and just focus on what I need to get done that day. Prioritizing and setting reasonable expectations of what I will get done in a day helps me to feel less overwhelmed. Plus, being able to check off all my items for the day feels so good!
- Pack lots of snacks and a healthy lunch. When your day is busy, you may tell yourself that picking something up on the road is easier, but it is actually more important than ever to pack healthy options so that when things get super busy at work or in your day, you at least can keep your blood sugar levels balanced and you won’t end up eating something from a vending machine or fast food out of desperation.
- Bring a big bottle of water with you where ever you go. When we get busy, we forget to drink water which makes us tired, less efficient, and blah. Don’t let yourself get dehydrated! If you are thirsty – you are already dehydrated!
- Find some time in your day to totally unplug and just “be”. Martha Beck wrote a great book called, “The Joy Diet” and the first thing she talks about people needing is, ironically, “nothing”. What most of us are hungry for, especially in this loud crazy busy world we live in is quiet, solitude, peace…NOTHING. So find 10 minutes to just sit alone in quiet. You’ll be amazed how this can recharge and center you.
What are your tricks for handling life’s crazier times? How do you make it Crazy Beautiful instead of just CRAZY?!!!!!!! Feel free to comment on this post and share YOUR TIPS with us!
P.S. If you’re wondering about that Think Thin bar, I found this flavor at Vim N’ Vigor in Ala Moana. It was pretty good! Really different from the other Think Thin bars – much more “granola bar-ish”
Hot or Not? Who Cares!
Well, after testing out my new Vibrams “Komodo” Five Finger Shoes in Bootcamp class and on a run, I am converted! I get it! I LOVE THEM! I really resisted switching over to Vibrams because, well, let’s face it, they are pretty dorky looking. But over the past year, the combination of cuter styles, getting used to seeing them on other people, and the mounting evidence of their benefits led me to finally give them a try and I am SO glad I did.
First of all, they are very comfortable. Wearing them for training at the Bootcamp Studio was awesome. It was like being barefoot, but without the wear and tear of the mat on the bottom of my feet. I want to try them on a striking day and at Turbo Kick at 24-hour and see how they feel there – I have a feeling they will work great because they don’t weigh your foot down like a normal shoe does.
The most remarkable thing is how they work for running. I love to run, but I have to watch how much I run because of knee pain. Running in these Vibrams yesterday, I felt NO knee pain! I couldn’t believe it! I kept waiting for that familiar pain to show up and tell me to start heading home, but there was NONE!
The employee at Go Bananas on Kapahulu where I got them warned me ease into running in them because my legs/feet would need some time to get used to the Vibrams and it would take some time to build up the muscles that haven’t been utilized because of the confinement of my regular shoes. I could indeed feel my calves tightening up and the muscles in my feet and ankles start to feel like they were being worked for the first time in this way. It wasn’t pain, just that feeling of new muscles being used. So I forced myself to cut my run short at 30 minutes. I felt like I could have gone on a lot longer, especially with the absence of knee pain, but I am sure glad I didn’t push it because today my calves do feel it!
Running in these crazy-looking shoes, I felt so free and light. I can’t wait to try them again and continue to build the muscles in my feet/ankles/legs. At $110, not much more than regular running shoes, these Komodos were an awesome investment and a great birthday gift to myself (since this is my birthday month!). Now this doesn’t mean you are going to be seeing me at the mall or the movies in them any time soon, but for working out, I give them an A+!
Here is what the Vibrams site says about the technology:
Vibram FiveFingers® footwear is different than any other footwear on the planet. Not only does it bring you closer to your environment, it also delivers a number of positive health benefits—by leveraging all of the body’s natural biomechanics, so you can move as nature intended.
5 Reasons to Wear Vibram FiveFingers:
1. Strengthens Muscles in the Feet and Lower Legs—Wearing Vibram FiveFingers will stimulate and strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improving general foot health and reducing the risk of injury.
2. Improves Range of Motion in Ankles, Feet and Toes—No longer ‘cast’ in a shoe, the foot and toes move more naturally.
3. Stimulates Neural Function Important to Balance and Agility—When wearing Vibram FiveFingers, thousands of neurological receptors in the feet send valuable information to the brain, improving balance and agility.
4. Eliminate Heel Lift to Align the Spine and Improve Posture—By lowering the heel, your bodyweight becomes evenly distributed across the footbed, promoting proper posture and spinal alignment.
5. Allow the Foot and Body to Move Naturally—Which just FEELS GOOD.
Stay Tuned…Tomorrow I will be sharing Michelle’s yummy Low-fat cheesecake recipe! Mmmmmmm!!!!!
I am a total geek-chick and can’t even remember life before my iPhone. How did I ever get around without GPS or survive long lines at the bank without Words with Friends?
There are SO MANY cool apps out there that can help you reach your fitness goals. Here are two of my current favorites:
Diet Snaps is a super cool food journal app that I LOVE LOVE LOVE! Basically instead of writing down what you eat, you simply take a photo of it. It tracks your photos for the day, so you have a visual reminder of what you ate. You can export your daily or weekly logs to people in an excel format (send it to your trainers at Egan’s Fit Body Bootcamp and we can give you nutritional consult). You can also email your meal shots or post them. I think what I love about it is that it resonates with the foodie in me! You take that extra time to make your food look pretty and take a moment before you eat…it slows you down and helps you to be more conscious of what you are eating. If you are food logging and find it hard to write down everything during the day, use this app in conjunction with your food journal as a reminder tool.
My Fitness Pal is the best online/phone app food journal that I have found. The phone app is super easy to use and they have the most extensive database of foods I have found. This is super important living in Hawaii where we eat such a variety of ethnic foods. They have things like agedashi tofu, sake, and kim chee! They also have a great online community, much like Facebook. Check it out!
And Honorable Mention Goes to…
Gold’s Gym Spotter is a cool app that Bootcamper Josh told me about. What’s cool about it is that you can “flip book” yourself by taking pictures of your body along your journey…a pretty neat way to see your own transformation. Of course, this works best if you have a spouse or friend who doesn’t mind taking a photo of you every week.
Anyone else have any fitness or health apps they love? Post your comments here! NEXT UP: Grocery Shopping Adventures!